Power supplies, often referred to as PSUs (Power Supply Units), are essential components in any computer system. They convert AC (alternating current) from your wall outlet into DC (direct current) that your computer components need to operate. When selecting a PSU, one of the key considerations is its efficiency rating. The most common efficiency ratings are Gold and Platinum. In this article, we will explore the differences between Gold vs Platinum Power supplies, helping you make an informed decision on which one is right for your specific needs.
Efficiency Ratings Explained
Before delving into the differences between Gold and Platinum PSUs, it’s important to understand what efficiency ratings mean. PSU efficiency is a measure of how effectively it can convert AC power into DC power without wasting energy as heat. The efficiency rating is expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating more efficient power conversion.
Here are the key efficiency ratings for PSUs:
- 80 PLUS: This is the base efficiency standard. An 80 PLUS PSU must achieve a minimum of 80% efficiency at 20%, 50%, and 100% load.
- 80 PLUS Bronze: These PSUs offer a minimum of 82% efficiency at 20% and 100% load and 85% efficiency at 50% load.
- 80 PLUS Silver: These PSUs have a minimum of 85% efficiency at 20% and 100% load and 88% efficiency at 50% load.
- 80 PLUS Gold: Gold-rated PSUs provide a minimum of 87% efficiency at 20% and 100% load and 90% efficiency at 50% load.
- 80 PLUS Platinum: Platinum-rated PSUs offer a minimum of 90% efficiency at 20% and 100% load and 92% efficiency at 50% load.
Now that we understand the efficiency ratings, let’s compare Gold vs Platinum Power supplies in more detail.
Popular Gold Certified PSUs
Here are brief descriptions of some popular Gold-certified Power Supply Units (PSUs):
1. EVGA 750 GQ 80+ Gold 750W:
The EVGA 750 GQ is a 750-watt Gold-certified PSU known for its efficiency and affordability. It offers stable power delivery, and modular cabling, and is an excellent choice for mid-range gaming rigs.
With an 80+ Gold efficiency rating, it provides energy-efficient performance, reducing power consumption and operating costs. Its modular design simplifies cable management, ensuring a neat and tidy system. This 750W unit is well-suited for gaming and demanding computing tasks, offering reliable power delivery and stability for your components, making it a great option for performance-oriented builds.
2. Corsair RM750 80+ Gold 750W:
The Corsair RM750 80+ Gold 750W power supply is a top-notch option for your PC setup. With an 80+ Gold efficiency certification, it delivers power efficiently, reducing energy costs and heat generation.
Its fully modular design facilitates clean cable management, resulting in a clutter-free build. This 750W PSU is ideal for gaming and high-performance computing, offering consistent and stable power delivery to ensure the reliability of your system’s components.
3. Seasonic FOCUS SGX-650W 80+ Gold:
The Seasonic FOCUS SGX-650W 80+ Gold power supply unit is a high-performance solution designed for demanding PC builds. With its 80+ Gold certification, it offers exceptional energy efficiency, reducing power wastage and operating costs. The unit delivers a stable power output of 650W, ensuring reliable performance for gaming, content creation, and other intensive tasks.
Its compact size makes it suitable for small form factor builds, while the modular design enables easy cable management and improved airflow. Seasonic’s renowned build quality and reliability guarantee long-term durability, making the FOCUS SGX-650W a trusted choice for enthusiasts and professionals alike.
4. EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G5 80+ Gold:
The EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G5 power supply is a top-tier option for high-performance PC setups. With its 80+ Gold efficiency rating, it ensures energy savings and reliable power delivery. The 650W power output is suitable for gaming rigs, workstations, and overclocked systems, providing ample power for demanding components.
Equipped with a fully modular design, it offers flexibility in cable management, contributing to improved airflow and aesthetics within the PC case. The G5 series incorporates high-quality components and advanced protections, ensuring stable and efficient operation under various loads. Backed by EVGA’s reputation for reliability and customer support, the SuperNOVA 650W G5 is a trusted choice for enthusiasts and professionals.
5. be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 80+ Gold:
Be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W power supply is a premium choice for demanding PC systems. With its 80+ Gold efficiency certification, it ensures optimal energy utilization and reduced power consumption. The 700W power output caters to high-performance gaming rigs, workstations, and multimedia setups, providing ample power for even the most demanding components.
Its modular design allows for customizable cable management, facilitating improved airflow and a clutter-free build. The Pure Power 11 series is known for its silent operation, featuring a high-quality fan and optimized airflow design. With Be Quiet!’s reputation for reliability and performance, the Pure Power 11 700W is a trusted solution for enthusiasts seeking a balance of power and silence.
6. Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 80+ Gold 600W:
The Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 80+ Gold 600W power supply is a budget-friendly option with an 80+ Gold certification, ensuring efficient power delivery and reduced energy consumption. Its 600W capacity is suitable for mid-range gaming and everyday computing systems.
With a non-modular design, cable management can be a bit challenging, but the unit offers reliable performance and stable power output. The quiet 120mm fan ensures proper cooling while keeping noise levels in check. The Toughpower GX1 is a cost-effective choice for users looking for a balance between price and performance.
Popular Platinum Certified PSUs
Some of the popular Platinum-certified Power Supply Units (PSUs) are listed below:
1. Seasonic PRIME PX-750 80+ Platinum:
The Seasonic PRIME PX-750 is a premium power supply unit with an 80+ Platinum certification, guaranteeing exceptionally high efficiency and power savings. With a robust 750W capacity, it’s suitable for high-performance gaming and demanding computing setups. Its fully modular design simplifies cable management, resulting in a clean and organized interior.
The unit is equipped with top-notch components for superior stability and reliability. The PRIME series is renowned for its quality, and the PX-750 is an excellent choice for users seeking the utmost in power efficiency and performance for their PC builds.
2. Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum 850W:
The Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum 850W power supply is a high-end solution for demanding PC builds. With its 80+ Platinum efficiency rating, it offers exceptional energy efficiency and reduced power consumption. The 850W power output is suitable for gaming, content creation, and high-performance computing needs.
Its fully modular design simplifies cable management, resulting in a clean and organized build. Equipped with top-quality components and a silent fan, the HX850 ensures stable and reliable power delivery with minimal noise, making it a premium choice for enthusiasts and professionals.
3. EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 80+ Platinum 750W:
The EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 is a high-performance power supply unit, boasting an 80+ Platinum efficiency rating for exceptional power savings. With 750W of power, it’s suitable for demanding gaming and content creation setups. Its fully modular design makes cable management a breeze, resulting in a neat and tidy system.
Equipped with premium components and a silent fan, the SuperNOVA 750 P2 delivers stable and efficient power while operating quietly. This PSU is a top choice for users who prioritize both performance and energy efficiency in their PC builds.
4. be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1200W 80+ Platinum:
Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1200W is a high-end power supply unit with an 80+ Platinum certification, ensuring top-tier efficiency and power savings. With its massive 1200W capacity, it’s designed for the most demanding gaming, content creation, and professional workstations.
The fully modular design simplifies cable management, resulting in a clean and organized build. Equipped with top-quality components, a virtually silent 135mm fan, and extensive power protections, the Dark Power Pro 11 delivers rock-solid stability and reliability for even the most power-hungry PC configurations.
5. Thermaltake Toughpower PF1 ARGB 850W 80+ Platinum:
The Thermaltake Toughpower PF1 ARGB 850W is a high-performance power supply with an 80+ Platinum efficiency rating, offering excellent energy efficiency and power savings. With 850W of power, it caters to gaming, enthusiasts, and content creation systems.
Its fully modular design streamlines cable management for a clean and organized interior. The unit features customizable ARGB lighting for added aesthetics. Equipped with robust components and a quiet fan, the Toughpower PF1 ARGB 850W ensures stable and efficient power delivery while adding a touch of visual flair to your build.
6. ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 750W 80+ Platinum:
The ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 750W is a premium power supply unit designed for small form factor builds. With an 80+ Platinum efficiency rating, it delivers top-notch energy efficiency and power savings.
Its compact SFX-L form factor ensures compatibility with smaller cases while offering 750W of power, making it ideal for high-performance gaming and compact workstation setups. The fully modular design simplifies cable management, providing a clean and organized interior. The ROG Loki series is known for its quality and is a superb choice for those seeking power and efficiency in a smaller build.
Which PSU We Should Choose?
Gold Power Supplies:
- Choose a Gold PSU if you have a moderate to high-power system but don’t require the highest level of energy efficiency.
- If you have a limited budget, a Gold PSU offers a good balance between cost and efficiency.
- Gold PSUs are suitable for most gaming PCs, home and office systems, and even some mid-range workstations.
Platinum Power Supplies:
- Opt for a Platinum PSU if you have a high-power system, such as a high-end gaming PC, workstation, or server with demanding power requirements.
- If you prioritize energy efficiency and want to minimize your electricity bills and environmental impact, a Platinum PSU is an excellent choice.
- If you plan to keep your computer running 24/7 or operate multiple systems, the energy savings over time can offset the higher upfront cost of a Platinum PSU.
- Assess your specific usage patterns and load levels. If your system operates at or near full load most of the time, a Platinum PSU may be more justified due to its higher efficiency at 100% load. For systems that run at a moderate load, the efficiency difference may not be as pronounced.
- Ensure that your system components and power requirements justify the investment in a higher-tier PSU. If you have a low-power system, a Bronze or Silver PSU might suffice.
- Evaluate your budget. Platinum PSUs are more expensive upfront, so consider whether the energy savings and environmental benefits over time justify the additional cost.
- Check for the availability of reliable Platinum PSU models from reputable manufacturers. Not all manufacturers offer a wide range of Platinum PSUs.
In the battle of Gold vs Platinum Power supplies, the right choice depends on your specific needs and preferences. Both options offer excellent energy efficiency and reliable power delivery. Gold PSUs are cost-effective and suitable for a variety of applications, while Platinum PSUs are the go-to choice for high-performance systems and environmentally conscious users. Make your decision based on your unique requirements, budget, and values.
FAQs About Gold vs Platinum Power Supplies
What is the difference between Gold vs Platinum Power supplies?
Gold PSUs have slightly lower efficiency than Platinum PSUs. Platinum PSUs are more energy-efficient and eco-friendly but come at a higher cost.
2. Is a Platinum PSU worth the extra cost?
It depends on your needs. If you have a high-performance system and value energy efficiency, a Platinum PSU is worth the investment. For budget-conscious users, Gold PSUs are still a great choice.
3. Can I use a Gold PSU for gaming?
Absolutely. Gold PSUs are suitable for gaming rigs and offer a good balance of efficiency and affordability.
4. Are there any government regulations regarding PSU efficiency?
Yes, some regions have regulations that require PSUs to meet certain efficiency standards, encouraging the use of energy-efficient options.
5. How can I calculate my PC’s power requirements?
You can use online PSU calculators or consult with a PC builder to determine your system’s power needs based on its components and intended usage.
Last Updated on 7 February 2024 by Haleema
Ansa Imran, a writer, excels in creating insightful content about technology and gaming. Her articles, known for their clarity and depth, help demystify complex tech topics for a broad audience. Ansa’s work showcases her passion for the latest tech trends and her ability to engage readers with informative, well-researched pieces.